Move Over Oprah . . . I've Got a New Role Model
So I finally got a chance to catch Michelle Obama co-hosting The View and all I have to say is move over Oprah, I've got a new role model.
Oprah became my inspiration when I was a child. I used to watch her on television and love to watch how she ran her talk show. I was pretty up on the talk show circuit when I was a child and watched a lot of Geraldo, Donahue, Sally and Oprah. But of them all Oprah was the one that I loved to watch. Her show has changed over the years, from somewhat raunchy to what it is today, the empowering show that women gather around the television to watch. And as I grew I looked at Oprah as a great role model. And why not? She was just like me, black, spunky, and a woman. She was pretty much the only one on television to look up too. But as time when on I saw Oprah's fortune grow and her personal life suffer. She's become a woman that's put a great deal of time into her career, other people's lives, and her dogs. She as a best friend, Gail King and an on again off again but now a steady boyfriend, Stedman. As I watched her 50th birthday celebration I realized she had never had children and always wondered why? She has a great fortune and no one to share it with. Don't get me wrong, I know she has the school in South Africa and they are all her "children" and there are countless charities and organizations that she donates to but no one will carry her name but her. There's no legacy.
That got me to thinking about my own life. I've put a great deal of energy and time in focusing on my career since graduation high school and college. I had kind of wrote marriage and children out of the equation. But then I would meet and become friends with women in their 30s and 40s still talking about how they want to meet a man and someday have children. And the more the years have flown by, the older I get, the older they get, and their chances are flying out of the window. And because it doesn't happen they heavily involve themselves in their career. My phone would ring every other day with them wanting to hang out. Then it hit me, these broads are very lonely. They work all the time and relax by hanging out all the time, drinking and acting like rowdy college students. Don't get me wrong, I like to throw a couple back every now and again, but their routine was interfering with my regular day to day life. I would be late for work because our evening were so intense, but they were up and at it bright and early, hangover and all.
I came to the conclusion that this wasn't the life I wanted for myself and began to focus more on finding a meaningful relationship. Now I went through my fair share of bad apples. Come on, I live in Washington, DC, the place where most young professionals are passing through so finding someone willing to commit was quite a challenge. But after a couple of tries, I think I've finally gotten it right. I count myself one of the lucky few.
My boyfriend came up in a family environment and really values family in general. More than I ever thought of. But the more I hear it, the more it sounds like something I want in my life. Okay, so I digressed. Let's get back to the interview with Michelle Obama.
Upon watching the show, I was impressed with her level of family value and how much her husband adores her for that. She shows that one can have career and family and be very much happy and motivated in both roles. Furthermore, SHE LOOKED FABULOUS! Kimora Lee doesn't know fabulous like Michelle Obama DOES fabulous.
I think the idea of "Power Couple" intrigues me more than "Successful Single Media Mogul." Where Oprah is only able to wear one hat, Michelle Obama wears many, which is more realistic by standards amongst women today. She doesn't have the financial success of Oprah, but her ability to wear many hats has allowed her to be so cool under any circumstance. That's a classic quality that many people lack. She's always ready for anything.
Now that's inspiration. So move over Oprah, you are still fabulous in my book, but I've got a new top role model.
3 soul seekers:
While I agree that you couldn't go wrong with either Michelle Obama or Oprah Winfrey as a role model, I was surprised to hear you say that Oprah's not leaving a legacy! She may not be leaving a biological legacy, but she impacts people's lives in deep and meaningful ways ... and her impact will continue to be felt long after she's gone. I, myself, am not a mother but an involved aunt. As I interact with my nieces and nephews I already can see that I'm leaving a legacy from the bedtime stories we make up together or the fun we have at the arts and crafts table, etc. Having said that, I hope we will have four or more years where Michelle Obama can leave such a legacy of her own!
I agree with you o this post. Oprah has given a great impact on peoples lives which I would love to do but I do not want to be rich and single like her. She has done so much good for people but what off for her? money is not everything.
Yeah I watched this. I love her attitude and I agree with you on the role-model front. I want to see her and her family in the White House.
Post a Comment