Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I Really Need To Move

I live in the hood. Southeast DC to be exact. I knew the area was the hood when I moved there but the rent was the most affordable I could find in the city without having a roommate. The apartment was a great size and I had the freedom to do anything to the apartment I wanted as far as decorating goes and I could have a dog. Those things were huge pluses. The area, from what I've been told, has made an incredible turn-around in the last 15 years or so. But since moving to the area, I've had my car broken into, I've seen a drug bust right in front of my house, the kids in the neighborhood have used my vehicle for their own personal lawn chair, I've got football dents in the hood of my car, I've had a car almost come through my front window (literally!), the electricity goes out for days at a time when a storm hits, my neighbor upstairs is very rude, etc., etc., etc. This list could go on forever. Bottomline: I need to move! My lease isn't up until February of 2009 but I think I'm out growing the place. I love the apartment and I wish I could just pick up the whole damn apartment and move it to a better area but I've come to the conclusion that what I'm saving in rent is being made up for in the expenses I have to shell out for misc stuff. Like dent repair.

My boyfriend works for a bed and breakfast in Adam's Morgan and gets an apartment for free. Not only is the apartment free but so is his internet and cable. That's virtually unheard of. Right now from the two jobs he works he is able to stack the majority of the money he makes. Add me to that equation and we could save thousands of dollars between us if I move in. He really wants me to move in with him and it seems very tempting but I come from a very traditional family that doesn't believe in couples co-existing until they jump the broom. And for a long time I believed that too, but the older I get the more since it makes, financially, to make the move. My boyfriend and I are talking about getting married within the next year and a half and our plan is to stack dough to move to N.C. Charlotte to be exact, an up and coming city for young professionals. All the dreams we set before us cannot be realized in DC. The cost of living is just too high and with a recession on the horizon, it doesn't appear to be looking any better.

I posed this question to my aunt yesterday and her reply wasn't quite what I wanted to hear. She suggested that I try to find something like what he has. IMPOSSIBLE. His job requires that he works 40 hours a week in order to retain the apartment. I have a full time career already and that would be a step backwards for me. So while I would be getting the free apartment I would be taking an huge pay cut and getting way from my career. Maybe she was the wrong person to ask.

So I pose the question to all of you . . . what would you do in this situation?

8 soul seekers:

The Minority Militant said...

Move in with the BF. Save some money and see how it goes for the first couple of months. The traditional thinking isn't always the best. But let me make one thing clear: If you do move in with him, he might be like, "why we gotta get married when we already doing all this?" So, that's just one angle to look at it. And some people in Europe move their whole apartment with them. No shit. Kind of funny, but check it out. Don't jeopardize your career cause your Auntie said so. It's hard these days trying to make ends meets cause these greedy white collars and CEO's don't wannt a little dent in their multi-milion dollar bonuses.

Mona the Face Painter said...

Move in. I did the same and we have saved sooo much money!!! Don't let your parents values be placed on you. Be your own person and make your own decisions.

I am having a Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow contest giveaway. Log onto my blog for my info: www.secondskinbeauty.blogspot.com

I am a southeaster too...raised in the sticks of Florida.

Hadassah said...

I would aslo move in with the BF I am very traditional too but it seems like the most sensible thing to do. I actually move back forth from place to his and to come to think of it it would be cheaper for me to move in but I have only been going out with him for two months.

Anonymous said...

My girls live in DC so I know what kind of "hood" you're talking about! My mother is also the same way and I respect her opinion very much at my age. If she believes I should be married before a move in with my other half then so do I! 2009 is a long time from now and I'd hate for you to regret moving in with your boyfriend too early than you can handle. I personally know my boyfriend wants to move in with me but what if my mom wants to visit. AWKWARD. And I don't want to deal with that. I had rude neighbors annoying roommate I moved! I broke the lease and moved elsewhere. The situation is so much better. I think if you want to try and move with him then give it a go. I'm all for saving money if you get sick of him then you can move out!

Good luck girl.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the above. i would move-in - it's just the most sensible thing to do, i think, in this situation. i don't know how long you've been with your boyfriend but just incase i would keep enough of an emergency back up fund - incase you dislike the situation and need to move out. always want to be prepared.

Anonymous said...

My mother always says, "You have to do what you have to do, until you can do what you want to do." It's the truth. Move in.

Mimi Kawaii said...

Move in. My lease is up in Feb 09 too and im so ready to move but I live NE close to NW. It's not in the hood but the rent is REALLY CHEAP. I live with my Sis at the moment so that helps me with saving money. you dont really have anything to loose by moving in with you BF.

D.Prince said...

Let me say this from a man point of veiw and a "Child of God" point of veiw. My wife and wanted to do that exact same thing "move in together, save money, the whole nine yards" but as your mom said (and quite is kept - parent have a reason why they say what they say) I am a firm believe that the blessing comes from obedience. If you can be patience with your current sitiuation (even in the mist of all the negitive that your endureing) I know GOD will work out just what you need to make things happen for you. I know DC VERY WELL "actually a little too well" and yes I totally agree with you on how the neighborhood is...I just had flash backs..but once again you do not have compromise cohabition just to paint a pretty picture that everything will work out, because the moment you move out of your own and move in with him (it may seem fine in the beginning but please beleive the blessing in obedinece and once you step outside of that, you move right into disobedience and there isn't anything good that come from that) but from the outside looking in everything is suppose to look fine, until you are actually in it. Take the thought of you moving in with your boyfreind and think about it with the same thought you had when you had before you move into this apartment your in now. Everything always looks good in the beginning.

"THEY THAT WAIT ON THE LORD, SHALL RENEW THERE STRENGHT, THEY SHALL MOUNT UP ON WINGS AS EAGLE, THEY SHALL RUN AND NOT BECOME WEARY, THEY SHALL WALK AND NOT FAINY"

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008