The Muffin Top Movement
So I'm convinced that every woman is in some way or another obsessed with their weight and appearance. Even the most modest of us ladies wishes that she would have taken it easy on the ice-cream or cookies and I am no exception. I was never conscientious of the fact that I cannot indulge in all things glutenous, until just recently. I've always been really tall and thin, having no butt and no boobs. In high school I played competitive sports just about all year round and ate just as much as I played. But in college, the sports stopped and the eating continued. I quickly learned that although I was a "skinny girl" I had the potential to be otherwise. So I monitored what I ate and maintained a healthy weight. Around my sophomore year, my obsession with modeling too hold and I wanted to be like what I saw in the magazines. But no matter how much I tried to maintain a thin physique, I was still too curvy for the modeling game. And a sister doesn't really like rejection so I quickly lost my interest in other people's idea of what beauty was.
Now I'll be the first to admit that my eating habits over the last year have not been the greatest. Since meeting my boyfriend, I've indulged in the finer things in life, like eating out at any number of DC's great restaurants and frequenting bars and lounges. And where I used to be huge on hitting the grocery store for healthier choices, I've now resorted to eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And I've gained my fair share of winter weight. Actually more than the usual. But with this I've got a new found set of boobs that I've never had and curves in my hips and butt that I really love. The most unwelcome part of this weight gain is the infamous muffin top that comes when I wear low riders and skinny jeans.
Now we all know the muffin top, that extra baggage of skin that hangs over the tops of your jeans. Why is it that just when you think you're getting the curves that you so rightfully deserve as a woman, life has to go and fuck it up by adding the muffin top. UGHHH! So now I'm constantly looking in the mirror trying to gage if my muffin top is bad enough for me to do anything about it. And that solely depends on what I'm wearing that day. There are some days I look in the mirror and I am just in love with myself and my curves, but then their are times when I shriek in horror because I think its getting out of control. My friends are probably really sick of me asking them every couple of days if they think I'm gaining too much weight. Of course those who see me on a regular bases think I look great but then their are those friends who haven't seen you in a couple of months and thing that I'm are getting fat! Case in point, my friend Torrey.
Torrey and I live close to each other but haven't seen each other in about 6 or 7 months. Just recently we participated in a Lupus Walk where she saw me for the first time since our last outing. The first thing out of her mouth was, "Damn, you're getting FAT!" Wow, an unexpected statement coming from someone that's not exactly a size 2 herself. But I let her have her say because I had on my spandex leggings that day and I thought I was looking pretty damn hot. But then I talked to my friend that recently moved to the Bahamas, who I also haven't talked to in about 6 or 7 months, and she proceeds to tell me that she heard I was FAT. Not getting fat but FAT, as in I'm already there. I wonder who told her this bit of information? Could it have been that gossiping ass Torrey? Of course, they are best friends and Torrey has nothing better to do than to tell other people's business to the masses.
Then you have those people that recognize that you are gaining weight but want to attribute it to other events in your life. Case in point, the receptionist at my job. I'm walking through the lobby one day and she looks at me and says, "Are you in love?" What the fuck kind of question is that? So now my weight gain is attributed to love? Well to in her defense, I am in love and did notice the weight gain after a while of being in my relationship. So I discussed this with my boyfriend. For some strange reason he can't see any weight gain. He just thinks I'm getting curvy and HE LOVES IT! He has already put in his request for the curves to stick around for a while. Can't argue there. Hell, I'm getting more loving than ever.
But reality is telling me that this shit is real and I really need to start gaining the control back. So I've gone about boycotting all fast food joints except Chipotle and Subway. I'm slightly obsessed with both and will always be a frequent visitor. As for eating out at restaurants, I've decided that I'm going to go for the more healthy choices on the menu and get it a cracking on those damn Tae Bo videos.
2 soul seekers:
First off, just had to let you know, I spent like 45 mins on your blog just so that I could keep hearing Bob Marley. I usually don't like the music on ppl's blogs, but you can NEVER go wrong with Bob! Well Done!
Secondly, you BF is right! Curves are awesome. Appreciate them. All you probably need to do now is maintain... don't become a stick figure like the magazine girls... they're not real... probably not happy... and probably always hungry!
mentalthreesixty: Gotta love Bob! He's the best! Also, I don't want to be rail, just trimmer! I guess I could do toning excercises!
Post a Comment