RIP Sade
This past Friday my boss lost her beloved dog, Sade. Sade was a Springer Spaniel that was about 16 years old. She was a dog that had lived a full and fortunate life. My boss rescued her from an animal shelter some time ago. I didn't know Sade in her earlier life but there were a couple of times when I would go in to catch up on work on the weekends and Sade would be there with her mom who is a classic workaholic. On weekends, since no one is normally in the building, we will occasionally bring our pets. On a couple of occasions I would bring Caesar, my four pound pomeranian. Caesar is about three years old and has the energy and spunk of a six month old puppy. Cesaer would run circles around Sade who would leisurely watch Caesar wear himself out. When Sade wasn't looking, Caesar would steal his treats right from under her nose.
Given Sade's age, needless to say, she conducted herself in the usual manner of someone that was up in age. She was very slow, deaf in both ears, and bearly able to see, but she was a very sweet old girl. My boss was very close to Sade. As long as I've known my boss, its been her and her dog. No one else. Her whole world revolved around catering to her dog's needs. She dedicated every morning to taking him to daycare so she wouldn't be left alone, and like clockwork, was there every afternoon to pick her up. She talked about Sade as if she were a child.
During work, my boss is always on point. Someone to look up as a great example of the ideal employee and boss. She's hardly emotional and always serious about work, life, etc. But when she came in this past Monday, I saw a side of her I had never seen in all my years of working with her. And my compassion completely took over. I could sympathize with her pain being that I had a brief relationship with Sade as well. I embraced her with a hug and wiped her tears, neither which I had never done in the past. We were having a moment past professionalism. Human emotion and compassion took over in a setting that never has a chance to experience it.
In memory of Sade, I purchased my boss a beautiful bouquet a flowers and a pet sympathy card. I think she really appreciated it. She's doing much better now, but I'm sure it will take her some time to truly come to grips with the whole thing.
So I am dedicating this post to Sade. Rest in Peace.
1 soul seekers:
so sad. I remember when my dog died. the worst :( hope she is ok.
Post a Comment