Thursday, January 15, 2009

Other People's Success



I've never been the one to be envious or indifferent about other people's success. In fact I generally wish that everyone could reach the same level of success in their lives that way no one has anything to be envious of (that is quite the understatement seeing that people will always find something to be envious of.) I actually love to hear that people are doing well and praise them for their diligence and effort.

But sometimes I feel the need to tune people out when they talk about their success. As they are standing there in their spotlight and moment of glory I find myself completely drifting in another direction thought-wise to the point that their words are mere utterances. Then just like clock work, I comeback in at the end of their tale with a hardy congratulations and the classic, "I am so happy for you."

Generally, I am very happy for them, I just don't think I care to know the details. We are a people of too much information and unless you are going to be writing a manual on "How to Achieve Success Like Me," the details can stay dormant. I find that people love to talk about themselves as long as they have an audience. It could be an audience of one, yet this is still enough to satisfy the need to share WAY TOO MUCH DAMN INFORMATION!

So to round this all out, I AM HAPPY FOR YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS! Don't give me more information than I ask for. Bottomline.

3 soul seekers:

The Minority Militant said...

Word...Sometimes it just comes off as them trying to rub it in your face even though that's not the intention. I could give two fucks about the new Lexus and 3 bedroom condo you bought with your six figure gig.

Seeking A Stylist said...

I'm sure I wasn't the only one that felt that way. I'm all about giving props where props are due but some people need to have a little humility.

E said...

I could not agree more!! :)

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008